Malas are the necklace or bracelets that combines gemstone beads imbued with potent energy and sacred meaning to infuse yoga or meditation practice.Mala beads have been used by yogis and spiritual seekers for thousands of years to help keep their minds focused during meditation. Malas were first created in India 3000 years ago and have roots in Hinduism, Buddhism and yoga. In todays bussy world mala jewelery offers people a wearable reflection of something in their own journey, so in that way the mala really becomes whatever the wearer intends for it.The mala provides a much-needed anchor in everyday situations and reminds us always to find a sense of grounding and calmness through the daily storms.
The term ‘mala’ is a Sanskrit word for “meditation garland.The mala’s beads that can be made of seeds, sandalwood or rosewood, or gemstones.
A mala is a string of 108 beads with one bead as the summit or head bead called a ‘guru bead.’The 109th stone, or the guru stone, symbolizes gratitude and our connection to the divine. It is a way to say thank-you to all the spiritual teachers who have helped us on our path to enlightenment. Malas are used as a tool to help the mind focus on meditation, or count mantras in sets of 108 repetitions.
Why 108 Beads ?
108: sacred number.There are many reasons or stories to why 108 beads. Some believe there are 108 stages on the journey of the human soul. The number 108 is considered to be
sacred in many Eastern religions, representing the universe as one thing (1),
nothing (0), and everything or infinity (8).
Other popular reasons:
• Astrology : there are 12 houses and 9 planets, 12 x 9 = 108
• Heart Chakra : there are 108 energy lines connecting to the heart, with one of them believed to be the path to
self realisation which lead to the crown chakra
• Sun & Earth : the diameter of the sun is 108 times the diameter of earth. The distance from the sun to the earth
is 108 times the diameter of the sun.
• Desires : there are said have 108 earthly desires
• Goddess Names : there are said to be 108 Indian goddess names
• Enlightenment : there is a possibility of enlightenment with taking 108 breaths a day, while in deep meditation
• Letters : while reciting the mantra in Sanskrit, the ancient script of India, within the Sanskrit alphabet there are
54 letters. Each letter has a feminine and masculine - totalling 108 letters.
• Time : Some say there are 108 feelings, 36 related to the past, 36 related to the present, and last 36 related to
What is GURU bead?
The guru bead symbolises gratitude and connection to the divine- it is a way to say thank you to all the spiritual teachers who have helped on path to enlightenment.This guru bead should not crossed when counting the mantras during meditation. The tassel after the guru bead is symbolic of the transcendental state beyond the basic three stated of waking, dreaming and
deep sleep.Buddhist believes that the tassel is a symbol of enlightenment.
However, this not has to be religious or need to have any spiritual practice. Simply wear them as fashion accessories or as a reminder of an affirmation or intention you’ve set.